Thursday, August 20, 2009

Turkish Mosque in Berlin


The prayer hall is well lit by the sunlight through the stained glass windows on the dome. It is the brightest mosque I have ever seen. Oriental blue patterns and designs surround the pure white ceilings, as if the sky is outlining the clouds. A delicate gold and silver chandelier hangs from the center, like the sun rising into the sky. Columns around the dome hold up arches painted with red stripes like the trunks of a palm tree holding up its leaves beneath the sky. The green carpet is soft and luscious, fertile soil and rich green grass beneath my feet.

Here the mystic Arabic melody of her voice fills the mosque as she recites a part of the Quran. Like the golden calligraphy painted on the walls, it dances in unpredictable loops and curves, taking me the hand and lifting away my worries.
Under the luminescence of this dome, surrounded by serenity of these walls, I felt relaxed, refreshed and at peace with the world. If every world leader had such a glorious space to stop and think, to surround themselves with this woman’s voice, I could see the world being a better place.

And for me, if ever I wanted to be closer to God, here is the place I would wait for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment